Salvaged Vintage Decor

Today I took my two year old to Monkey Joe's for the first time...after a couple of hours of that...this vintage mama needed a little salvaging...a reviving power nap inspired me to tell you about something I L-O-ve...
I L-O-ve architectural salvage! I love it best when I pull it out of the "curb appeal pile"(aka someone's trash pile), but I also enjoy watching for pieces at flea markets, antique shops, and anywhere else it may linger.
I think of the great effort and passion put into each curve and detail of building even when resources were so few, and I can't stand the thought of these 'leftovers' being crush, burned or left to rot...
>>>I am NOT a hoarder...in fact I'm anti-hoarder...so I do what I can one piece at a time:)


My special passion is windows as you probably noticed in my "God Opens a Window" post... There's just something about dreaming about what someone saw out the window 100 years ago that seems more serene to me than what I might see out my own window on any given day...
(although some of the windows in this house are likely 100 years old and to accent that we dress 'em up with that fine little winterizing plastic -- very classy!)

These are the first windows I ever purchased. There are actually three of them...you will see them used in more than one way over time...it's one of my favorite items to move...




And you've probably seen something like this before. This is a round floor vent that would have been used to let heat get through to an upper level...I think it's a great simple piece to give punch to an otherwise narrow boring place by the front door. I like to think that me buying this was the inspiration for every decor store in town to offer lightweight metal replicas...

This is not architectural salvage, but I bought it in a salvage store...can you tell what it is?





It's a drawer front from an old chest of drawers! The handles act as ready made hooks...fantastic by an entryway for bags or as a towel holder in the bathroom...







Now...drumroll...please...



This is a shelf that I designed from a pile that looked similar to this...














The long portion of the shelf is a wide door frame....It rests on corbels (I think thats what they are called??) I never could find a place for my family photos and this is going to work great because it's above a window which would otherwise be wasted space! I can't wait to play with the design of what sits on the shelf over and over again!






















I'll keep you "posted" on what I do with my remnants...I've got it a beautiful plan in my head, now I just have to get my hands dirty!




"And a time to build up, and a time to tear down." Ecc. 3:3

8 comments:

Amy said...

Love the shelf! I am so jealous of your finds. I need to get out more, maybe some things like this would make this house not seem like an apartment!

Unknown said...

The season to get out is coming soon:) It's ssooo much easier to take kids out to garage sales, flea markets etc...than it is to cart them around in the cold to antique stores. You'll be inspired this summer...I just know it! Besides, when I head that way me and my top 2 commenters are getting babysitters and hitting the town!!

© Shalom Schultz said...

Ooh, I'm gonna steal your purse hook idea...

Emily said...

I love your style! So pretty!

Every time I see old windows hung like that, I want to go find some of my own. They look great.

thanks for linking up!!

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

I like the drawer front! thanks for the inspiration!
thanks for stopping by my blog and taking the time to leave a comment on my "recent finds" post.
gail

Wanda Lee said...

This is just fabulous; love what you've done as you created something new and created that shelf from the various components.., Just brilliant!

Cheers

Keetha Broyles said...

LOVE your blog title.

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hello...

Ooh...I love all of the pretty salvage pieces! I especially like the idea of using that old chippy drawer front as a coat hanger, etc....great idea! Love your shelf about the window too...you decorated it sooo beautifully! Thank you so much for sharing this great post with us for Sunday Favorites! I'm just elated that you came and helped SF celebrate it's very first birthday!

Have a wonderful day and best wishes with the gift card giveaway!

Chari @Happy To Design

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...