A Call to Americans

14 years ago today this little country girl woke up and dressed in her best city clothes to explore New York City! At the ripe age of 21 I took my brother of 9 years old and we headed to Penn Station...

The rest of the day is history as they say. This time it was actual US History. World History.

As we reflect on that day, after 14 years, I have a new perspective. In preparing to teach students about that day, I have a new calling. A new challenge.

13,000 children were born on September 11, 2001. On that day we mourned those lost and we mourned for the changed world that those 13,000 children were born into.

In the days and weeks that followed we not only held our flag a little higher, but we also held those we love a little closer. We looked into the eyes of strangers in the elevator and at the grocery store.

Songs like "Where were You When the World Stopped Turning?" by Alan Jackson and "My List" like Alan Jackson reflected on what's important in life:

Go for a walk, say a little prayer
Take a deep breath of mountain air
Put on my glove and play some catch
It's time that I make time for that
Wade the shore and cast a line
Look up a long lost friend of mine
Sit on the porch and give my girl a kiss
Start livin', that's the next thing on my list


So I challenge you. me. us.
Live like you remember.
For those 13,000 born. For the millions born since. 
They don't remember. Live like you do.
Share the message and photos of you doing it.
#livelikeyouremember

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...