Unglued Study -- Week 2

The struggle is real.

This is a sort of catch phrase that shoots darts at the idea of "all is well" social media like images.
Solomon told us that "...there is no new thing under the sun." (Ecc. 1:9) And even though I find myself using this catchy little phrase, this week's Bible verse for the #UngluedBook study reminds me that even this little catch phrase is nothing new.

"What causes fights and quarrels among you? 
Don't they come from your desires that battle within you?"  
"You want something but don't get it. 
You kill and covet, but you cannot have what you want. 
You quarrel and fight. 
You do not have because you do not ask God."
James 4:1-2

God made us. He knows the struggle is real.
So what do you say we back up in the book of James and take a look at what He had to tell us earlier in chapter 3? I get it. In that place of struggle -- I have to surrender to God. But, what if I didn't have to struggle inside so much?

You see...the place I'm in right now in life...most of the time my struggle comes from something mentioned earlier in verse 14 -- bitterness, envy, selfishness, denying the truth...

"Such 'wisdom' does not come down from heaven 
but is earthly, unspiritual, of the devil. 
For where you have envy and selfish ambition, 
there you find disorder and every evil practice."
(James 3:15-16)

Stay with me....there's hope:

"BUT the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; 
then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, 
full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. 
Peacemakers who sow in peace raise a harvest of righteousness." 
(James 3:17-18)

So you see the struggle is real. But the hope of more is also real. Back down to James 4, verse 6

"God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble"

That's right. If I'm just humble enough to admit my weakness and need for help with the struggle. He steps right in. He wants to be that rescuer and the One to free me from the struggle.
All I have to do is be willing to admit that I struggle and ask Him for the help.
Hmmm. The struggle is real. So is Help in the struggle.

From R7 to you --
Be a blessing.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...