Short tables in front of couches

I have never bought a coffee table. In fact, I've rarely seen a cup of coffee on the short table- like things that I have set in front of the couch over the years. #1 rule for me about these short tables: - If I can't prop my feet up on it at the end of a long day then it doesn't belong in front of the most comfortable seat in the house.
My first coffee table was an old army trunk that my husband's great grandpa gave him. It served it's duty for years in our multiple family rooms. Sometimes I would drape it with fabric, other times I would use only a runner, and if you can believe it sometimes I left it bare other than a few accessories on top.

After much fretting over what was then (and probably still is) the most expensive antique that I had every bought...I called a dear friend to use her Vibe and headed out on the 30 mile drive to take the plunge. It has earned it's keep!! No one knows what it really is but it has served as end table, coffee table and conversation piece...it's what I'm using currently




And this was an item bought from my first ever auction!!! (maybe I can blame the bench for my instant addiction...) I used it on my front porch for ages, but when we moved here I employed it as my foot propper of choice. I really liked it, but I needed a change...

So...for Christmas one year I moved this guy into place as a foot propper...

I love it for the pop of red at the holiday time, but it's too much red throughout the year...I've thought about painting it, but then I lose the opportunity for it's holiday cheer as winter sets in...


As it has been termed...I "shop my house" I call it maximizing my assets and my budget. Plus, now that makes me green! So the red table serves as play & snack table.

The bench has made a cozy vignette in an otherwise lost hallway...

...and so you are not disappointed...the army trunk has it's place as one of the most used seats in the house...it makes a cozy little love seat on the porch when we have company, it's a good diaper changing table when we are playing outside, and I've been known to catch a few zzzz's in the sunshine too! Shhh!! Don't tell anyone...

So, lately I've been thinking of buying the coffee table that matches our TV stand, but then what would I do on afternoons that I'm trying to avoid housework...

Tell me I'm not alone...

What's your coffee table? Do you have any items of furniture that move around your home?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry, I forgot to enable comments the first post! Talk to me now:)!!

Delightful Dwelling said...

I love that bench and army trunk, they are awesome! I like how you showed all the different ways you used that bench, so neat.

Amy said...

Love all your pieces. How fun to be able to use all those in so many places. I have fabric to make a slipcover for a chest and use it as a coffee table. Todd doesn't get it! He said "get rid of all of it, you can buy whatever you want!" He has no vision :)!

Unknown said...

OK...so it's a bit out of context but the principle is the same. 1 Peter 3:1 "...they, without a word, may be won..."
This is my approval not to even talk about decorating with my husband...the finished product will sell itself:) Keep the trunk Amy!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...