Cooking in Haste

I want to tell you about Abigail.  Abigail was a beautiful, smart young lady.  She was married to a real scoundrel though…

A king was traveling through the woods near Abigail’s house and the king’s servants approached that scoundrel to tell of their coming. Well…being a scoundrel…he didn’t care!  But when Abigail found out she knew that she must protect her household by endearing the king. 

So Abigail got busy…she “made haste and took 200 loaves of bread, two skins of wine, five sheep already dressed, five seahs of roasted grain, one hundred clusters of raisins, and 200 cakes of figs, and loaded them”

OK…now that is cooking.

How about us??? Could we even feed an extra 20 people if needed??? She served an entire army!

I think one of the biggest differences in cooking long ago and cooking now (besides that they had to cook to live!) is that we have been taught to follow exact recipes instead of being creative and thinking about the texture and taste and working with what we have. 

They had to make what they have taste yummy! If we think like that…we will enjoy cooking more, save money and it will taste better!!!

What I really l-o-ve about this recipe is the ingredients are so easy to substitute….I can change it up with what I have on hand and it comes out delicious every time!!

The original recipe (shown later) calls for 9x13…I half it in this…
Blog 240
Boil 1/2 bag of packaged egg noodles (or as many as you’ll need to cover the bottom of your dish) Remember we’re being flexible :)
Blog 241

Layer noodles in casserole dish and add chicken breast pieces on top.  I use frozen pre-cooked breast strips…

Then mix 1 can of “cream of” soup…the recipe calls for cream of mushroom…I’ve used mushroom and celery too…
Blog 242
Mix that with 1/2 cup of cream cheese or sour cream

Layer the creamy mix on top of chicken and noodles.

Top the casserole with cracker crumbs…I’ve also used canned bread crumbs and crushed frosted flakes…Blog 244
Helpful Hint:
Blog 243
Crush the crackers in the package!! No mess.

Drizzle melted butter on top of crackers for a real crunch!

Again…you can use olive oil, cooking spray, or melted margarine

Top with poppy seeds or leave them off – you pick.
Blog 248

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes…and…dinner is served.

Blog 250

The leftovers are good in red igloo too.
Blog

Here’s the original recipe…

 Blog 238
Blog 239

My meat and potatoes man isn’t much for casseroles and truthfully neither am I…but we both enjoy this casserole that a church lady made for us when little man was born.  (Church ladies always cook yummy food!!!)

What about you?? What’s your favorite flexible recipe?

1 comment:

Leslie {Goodbye, house. Hello, home!} said...

Hi!
I found your blog from a comment you left on Bobbypins Boardwalk.
What interested me was the Shop Your House party you are having!
Count me in!
I just love your About me and am so happy to have met another blogger who loves being a home maker and loves Jesus with all her heart!
This encourages me so much!
Stop by my home, if you like, anytime!
I'll see you on the 28th!
P.S. I am SO going to use the poppy seeds and sour cream on my version of this recipe that you have! Yum!
P.P.S. I also love how you incorporated a story from the Bible in your post- I do this, too!
Abigail must have been a caterer!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...