Iowa’s version of YUM!

I've never been an overly big fan of my home state. However, I couldn't help but celebrate in my heart today. It was our first day of shucking. Now I've been shucking corn ever since I can remember. I believe that I have perfected my favorite way to prep and freeze it for winter. Much credit to my dear friend who led me to this perfection.

Every body has their own way...some add cream...some freeze it on the cob...some like whole kernel, and on and on go the variations -- but try this and I promise you rave reviews from your hungry family!

Start with decadent selections such as Kandy Korn or Peaches ‘n Creme.  Try to get your ears in the morning when they’re fresh picked and work it right away.

 DSCN3472

You know you have a delicious cob when the milky juice squirts all over you while shucking. (For those of you wondering what that big metal thing is in the background – it’s a snowplow. Love Iowa.)

After it’s all shucked, rinse it and pick off all those annoying little hairs that you can…

DSCN3477

I slice my corn off of the cob and into a bowl in the sink so that clean up of the mess is simple.

DSCN3478

Now here’s where the cutting controversy begins…

DSCN3479

See how this cob is being cut at the base of the whole kernel.

DSCN3483

See all the juice ooze when you cut only half of the kernel. Repeat this step to get the bottom half of the kernel.

And then even if you’re determined to cut whole kernel always back “grate” the cob to get any leftover good stuff.

DSCN3481

After you have it in the bowl, cook it quickly on the stove at a medium-high temperature. You are NOT cooking the corn simply a quick “blanching”. I add my butter and salt and pepper at this stage.

I only do this next step if I’m freezing it – not if I’m serving it fresh…I don’t know why it works but it DOES! Health nuts – I admire you but scroll no further…

DSCN3491

That’s a deceiving scoop – it’s actually only a table spoon to what would equal a gallon of corn.

Then it’s ready for scooping into freezer bags.

DSCN3492

Plan ahead. Make some smaller bags just for your family and larger portions for holidays and having company. Mostly, remember that you must taste each batch to insure perfection. Or just because you deserve it.

Also helpful to remember…if it’s too sweet add salt. If it’s too salty…a little sugar will balance the taste.

DSCN3489

Think how good fresh sweet corn will taste with your Thanksgiving feast!!!

Your turn…how do you prepare and store your favorite fresh summer delights?

3 comments:

Kayla said...

You go through a lot more work than I do. IF (and a big if) I take it of the cob first, I just put it in a plastic storage bowl with a little water and freeze it. I season it when cooking it. But most of the time it just gets frozen on the cob.

Angela said...

We will actually be traveling to Iowa next week. I will have to get my hands on some of that sweet corn. Iowa has the best corn!

Anita at Cedar Hill said...

Oh your corn looks delicious. I'm a new follower.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...